Friday, March 30, 2007

ole ole

Today was burrito night in Chez Village Vegan. Mmmm. I absolutely love burritos. Actually, I pretty much love all Mexican food. Fortunately it's fairly easy to veganize. Burritos are great because you can just kind of throw together a filling of stuff you need to use up, and it always tastes good. Tonight's edition had a yummy black bean-chipotle filling. I have a can of chipotles I'm trying to use up. I sauteed an onion with a little bit of garlic, and then added two chopped chipotles and a little bit of adobo sauce. After that was cooked I added almost a whole can of black beans, and pureed that with my much loved immersion blender. Then I added the rest of the beans, a little bit of corn, and some chopped cilantro. You can't really see it in the picture, but I sprinkled some pepitas on top of the filling, which gave it a little crunch and tasted good.



I made plantains for the first time tonight! I always loved them in restaurants, but I never tried making them at home before. Well, I see lots of plantains in my future. Tonight I sauteed them in a tiny bit of earth balance, and then sprinked brown sugar on them until it melted. Simple and quite nice.

Served with some fresh salsa on the side, this was a tasty, pretty well rounded meal. Another veggie probably wouldn't have hurt, but oh well. (Did I really eat that whole plate?!?!)

Spinach was on sale at the grocery store today, so I think I'm going to make my most favorite ever spinach dish tomorrow. Oh, and to round out the whole Spanish thing, tonight I finally saw a film, Volver, by my favorite director, Pedro Almodovar, that I've been wanting to see forever. It was worth the wait! It was quite different that Almodovar's previous films, which was interesting. And the cinematography was beautiful.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mmmm, plantains. I really like plantains. They're so versatile (grilled, roasted, fried) and they're used in so many different cuisines (African, Latino, Caribbean, yaddayadda). They're really good with collards if you get tired of spinach. Love the presentation on your burrito!