Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Cherries

I ran out to the little fruit-stand on the corner of Broadway and 111th to pick up some oranges. I ended up coming home with 2 lbs of cherries, 2 lbs of green grapes, 2 lbs of strawberries, and 3 oranges. Whoops. But, it's fruit, so I really can't feel guilty! And it was only $11, which really isn't bad for more than 6 lbs of summer fruit.

So, dinner tonight was a big bowl of cherries, so sweet-tart and juicy that I ate them over the sink, straight from the colander. I'm sure I could have made all manner of fancy desserts and sauces, but simple is good. The perfect summer dinner.



(Much prettier in real life-- the light wasn't good this evening.)

Perhaps I'll have some strawberries later on this evening.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sulu-design said...

The cherry love abounds in NYC!

bazu said...

Yes!! I would have done exactly the same thing- nothing beats pure fresh summer cherries. I used to always go to the fruit stands in nyc on my way to work for breakfast- bananas were a must since they were only $.25!! I hope to go cherry picking in the next few days and your post has inspired me!

Caty said...

Those cherries look delicious!

Cherry said...

Wow, those cherries look beautiful!

VeggieHead said...

Cherries! Delicious! Too bad it's more expensive now than they were a few weeks ago. It was $1.25 per lb last month and now it's $2.99 in Queens. A little more than double!