Friday, June 8, 2007

Gingerbread muffins


I'm so proud of these muffins, because I made the recipe up as I made them, and somehow everything worked out. The texture is quite nice, and they're just sweet enough. (Yes, I know it's nearly summer...but I just had a huge gingerbread craving. Mmmm.) I think the crumbly topping puts them firmly in the muffin (as opposed to cupcake) camp.


Gingerbread Muffins (makes 12 muffins)

2 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
2 1/4 tsp dried ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/3 cup sugar
pinch salt
1 cup applesauce
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Topping:
1/4 cup oats
1/4 whole wheat flour
4 tsp brown sugar
4 tsp vegetable oil
3/4 tsp cinnamon
tiny pinch salt

Mix all the ingredients for the topping together.

Preheat the oven to 375 F. Mix the dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl, whisk the wet ingredients until combined. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and pour the wet ones in, mixing with a few swift strokes until combined. Scoop the batter into a greased muffin tin. The batter should come just short of the top. Generously sprinkle the topping onto the muffins, pressing it down gently. Bake for about 20 minutes-- use the toothpick test. Cool in the muffin pan for a few minutes, then remove and place on a wire rack to cool.

Enjoy!

10 comments:

urban vegan said...

These look like they would pair well with tea with lemon. Yum. Wish you could email me one ;)

bazu said...

That is so cool- inventing your own recipe! Those muffins look quite good, I don't care what season it is!

KleoPatra said...

Wow, do those look excellent!! Gingerbread men have met their match!

cristy said...

They look delicious. I can't wait to try them.

Darcy said...

YUM! Those look good! I'm not a gingerbread fan but I could see making those. I'm sure I could find a lot of takers!
:)

Mia said...

We didn't have applesauce, but I use a little extra molasses and some milk and they turned out great!
Thanks for posting this! It was exactly what I was looking for.

Mariposa said...

I just made these for Christmas breakfast, and my omnivorous family, usually skeptical of vegan baked goods, absolutely loved them. They can't stop talking about them. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

If you are interested in buying a designer handbag thomas sabo charm club anhänger
you’ll need to visit a retailer who sells them. thomas sabo engelsflügel
These are generally specialty boutiques. thomas sabo armband
Another venue for purchasing designer ladies handbags anhänger kette
is from online retailers. There are many websites angebote thomas sabo ohrschmuck
that sell brand name designer ladies handbags and will ship ohrringe creolen
them right to your door. This often affords the consumer angebote thomas sabo uhren
the biggest selection and it also allows a chance to Armband mit Anhänger
compare prices. It’s important to be careful when purchasing a quality thomas sabo shop
designer bag in this way because you’ll want to be wary of imitations.

Nicole said...

Hi! I just made these muffins (without the topping) and they came out fantastic :D Thanks for the recipe, it's so impressive that you invented it!! I'll be making it again, it's actually quite addictive!

Invertir en oro said...

Hello, i would like to read more about this interesting topic.